Thursday, July 17, 2014

Friesian Horse Oil Painting by Karen Baker Thumm

"Forever Friesian" horse oil painting on canvas
I created this portrait of a Friesian mare several years ago, and it was quite a challenge. It took 2 photo sessions to get  good enough reference to use for the painting. If memory serves me right, it was a 24x24 inch oil on canvas.

This was one of those Live and Learn paintings. I used Prussian Blue to create the underpainting, and when the finished painting was photographed, that Prussian Blue showed through all the other layers and dominated the photo image. Won't do THAT again! PB is a very strong color and does tend to dominate, but I didn't know that at the time.

This painting is in a private collection, but if you want to see more of my artwork, please visit my website, Equine Artist Karen Baker Thumm

2 comments:

  1. I know all about "live and learn" paintings--it seems like every one I do falls into that category! The best part is that we DO live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, Karen. She looks so powerful and 'in the spotlight', her pride shows.

    ReplyDelete